Monday, December 28, 2009

Why does water increase the scent of perfume?

In the past, I have felt that I have maybe sprayed my perfume on too strong but was told (and experienced myself) that if you try to wash it away with water, it will only make the smell stronger. Why is that? Why doesn't it dilute it?Why does water increase the scent of perfume?
What is happening is that when you put water on a scented surface, the scent attaches to the water. When evaporation starts, the scent is lifted by the water molecules into the air where it can be smelled more easily. Thus, while the actual concentration goes away, there is more of the perfume that you can smell in the air around you.





Thus, to ';get rid of'; the smell you need to make it so the scent cannot be smelled. Washing your face with a cleansing cream or even dirt will have the perfume bond with something much heavier than water that doesn't fly into the air for you to smell.Why does water increase the scent of perfume?
I don't think water increases it so much as it re-activates it. Have you actually tried using water if you spray too much? Sounds like an old wive's tail to me. The wetness is probably just reactivating the smell (perfume dries quickly due to alcohol content) and your nose picks it up again (also, the nose gets used to a smell quickly - ever notice how you no longer smell your own perfume after a few minutes?).





The key is to not marinade in the perfume. Others can smell it, trust me.
A good way to spray perfume on you is to:


1. Spray it in the air in front of you


2. walk through it


3. Whammo! you are done.





I am not a perfume expert I just heard it on some beauty show..(Don't ask)





Water and soap should dilute it and make the smell go away.


I've never heard of it enhancing the smell
It doesn't make it stronger. Water will wash off much what is sprayed onto your skin.
i have never noticed that
it does- dilute i mean

No comments:

Post a Comment